02/07/2008

Doug Basham wrestling sign

Doug Basham, the first WWE Superstar I ever spoke (if we disregard a brief meeting with JBL on a Helsinki street) to. At the time thou I did not know the guy was a WWE Superstar! My son and I had gone up to the breakfastroom at the Hotel and we were simply amazed that all the wrestlers were sitting down there for breakfast, we were staying at the same hotel as them! I was up at the buffét and this bald guy with a Unforgiven T-shirt came up beside me and took some eggs. He said, -"Good morning"! I said good morning as well thinking that this was one of the crewguys and asked him politely if he thought if it was possible that me and my son asked the wrestlers for autographs and perhaps a photo when they were leaving the breakfastroom. He said, -"Sure, no problem" so we finished our breakfast and went outside the breakfastroom and waited. When they came along we stood up and asked but when this guy came out we just sat there in our chairs. He said, -"What about the photo and the autograph"? I stood up and pushed my son, who had no clue, forward and the guy wrote "Doug Basham" and then we understood. At the time the Bashams were new in the WWE and we had heard about them but just seen them once or twice on our computer (Sweden did not, and still does not, send the WWE shows on the TV). Doug was ever so nice and after that meeting he was one of our favorites.

I decided of course to make a sign later which I did. However the next time the WWE came to Finland the Bashams had split up and Doug had a new gimmick so I had to alter the sign and add hair, moustasche and sunglasses. It did not come out that well. And of course, as soon as we made the sign, Doug was forced to leave the WWE so we never used it, story of my life!



My son and Doug Basham, we had just figured out who he was!


No comments: