28/10/2007

Ric Flair wrestling signs

If there is one person in the world that personifies wrestling its Ric Flair. I guess a lot of people would say Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin or even the Rock, but for me the choice is crystal clear, The Nature Boy Ric Flair!

We have met Ric Flair once and for me as a wrestling fan that was like meeting Elvis Presley or someone equally famous. Ric was very nice and we got a lovely picture of him and my kids when he was sitting at a bar (surprise surprise!). We also got the best damn autographed promo we have ever seen and a memory for life, thanks so much for that.

At the time we met Ric we did not have the signs with us, in fact, we had not made any good ones. After the meeting I did want to do something extra, something unique so I put a lot of thought into it before I sat down and started drawing. The first one came out like this,



and as you can see its not finished. I basically copied a picture from one of the Survivor Series Dvds and I did not do a very good job with it. Working on the the text I slowly figured that out and I also realised that the text was boring and not a sign that stands out. So I gave it all up, scrapped the project and went back to the old drawing board, as the saying goes! Here I started to think of what I could do that would be original but still point out the greatness of Ric Flair and I finally came up with it. Since Ric is fantastic the slogan became "FANTASRIC FLAIRTASTIC" which I feel is something new, I have never seen it on other signs, but still it is a sign pointing out whats important about The Nature Boy. No picture, since I basically suck at that, but a WWE-logo as a background and adding The Nature Boy and the sign was ready. I dont know about you readers but this is one of my favorite signs. Its original, its well done and it says it all. I hope we get to show it for The Man one of these days.

No comments: